Health Educator 2 – This position would be utilized as a Disease Investigation Specialist, as a part of the outreach team. The HE2/ DIS will intervene in and prevent the transmission of HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and hepatitis C infection through educating, counseling, investigating, and facilitating the medical examination and treatment of persons with these infections, and those at highest risk for infection in Ramsey County and in accordance with MDH/ DIS rules and regulations. Contact tracing will be a part of this position. This is an unclassified, limited duration position expected to the end of 2024.
To develop, implement and evaluate community educational programs related to a specialty area of public health; and to perform related duties as assigned.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules, i.e. promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction.
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list of job descriptions.
Definition of Unclassified from the Ramsey County Personnel Act:
Subdivision 1. General. "The appointing authority may discharge employees in the unclassified service with or without cause. Employees in the unclassified service have no right to a grievance appeal from discharge or other disciplinary action under sections 383A.281 to 383A.301. An employee in an unclassified position shall not have tenure but shall be entitled to all benefits associated with tenure such as vacation leave, sick leave, health insurance, and other benefits as determined by the county board."
Criminal Background Checks: May be required as directed by Ramsey County Employment Background Policy. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
E-Verify Participation: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance or national origin.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print this posting and answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them with your completed paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples of Work Performed
- Perform community health assessments and identify areas of need in community health services provision; establish criteria for evaluation of community health promotion programs and activities; prepare reports based on community health assessments and program evaluations for use in addressing community health goals.
- Develop contacts and partnerships with community agencies and individuals, schools, health care professionals and social service providers in order to conduct health education activities and identify health care problems or needs.
- Participate as a member or chair of department task forces and committees for strategic planning, service delivery design and other topics; provide leadership and coordination with other health organizations, volunteer health agencies (e.g. American Lung Association, etc.) and other public health departments for the development and implementation of community health promotion projects; work with state agencies to coordinate programs and exchange information.
- Prepare and assemble educational materials including web resources, brochures, exhibits, posters, newsletters, slides and other audio-visual materials; develop new or adapt existing materials for use with diverse cultures or communities; translate or arrange for the translation of materials for use with non-English speaking populations.
- Develop and conduct training sessions for county staff, for staff members of other public health or service organizations or schools, and for volunteer personnel concerning health programs and facilities, or public health issues; and conduct information sessions on developing multicultural competency skills and culture specific knowledge.
- Organize and conduct health education meetings and conferences for community groups and organizations.
- Plan and prepare publicity material including news releases, radio and television copy and related art materials for public health education activities; appear on camera or radio to discuss topics related to public health programs or issues.
- Compile and maintain health information containing web resources, books, media, slides and other materials; compile and maintain a health information resource file for use by other staff members.
- Assist in compiling and preparing statistical and narrative sections of annual reports and other agency publications; provide recommendations regarding department funding of projects.
- Receive and respond to inquiries from the general public related to information concerning health services and health educational resources.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this description and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
Education: Bachelors Degree in health sciences, education, behavioral sciences or a related field.
Experience: Two years experience in public health education, public health nursing, community organizing or a closely related field.
Substitution: Master's degree in related field may substitute for two years of experience.
Exam/Screening Process Information
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position will be forwarded to the hiring department/manager for consideration for these limited duration, unclassified positions. Candidates appointed to limited duration, unclassified positions may become eligible for benefits based on schedule. There is no guarantee of employment beyond the anticipated end of this assignment.