- Basic Function
The current vacancy is in the Accounting and Finance Division of the Economic Growth and Community Investment Service Team. The eligibility list created by this vacancy may be used to hire other vacancies in the department, service team or County.
To review and analyze accounting transactions, prepare financial reports, maintain records of the financial activity of the department or unit to which assigned and ensure compliance with legal guidelines and generally accepted accounting principles; and to perform related duties as assigned. (This is the journey-level class in the Accountant series. It differs from Accountant 1 in that employees, based on supervisory assessment, require less supervision, perform more complex assignments and require a greater degree of technical skills and knowledge of departmental accounting procedures. It differs from Accountant 3 in that positions may direct certain phases of the work performed by subordinate staff but do not involve responsibility for organizing or supervising the activities of a distinct work group.)Flexible Workplace
This position is identified under the designation of ‘flex work eligible’, meaning that the employee can formally opt to be in-office full-time or work a flex schedule in which at least two-days per week are performed in office and other days can be performed in a remote-first environment. Regardless of selection, the position carries expectations regarding on-site responsibilities and will require schedule flexibility beyond the minimum expectations set forth in the county’s flexible workplace policy. To view Ramsey County’s Flexible Workplace policy, go to: Flexible Workplace policy (Download PDF reader).
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules (i.e., promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this position, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
- eteran's Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran's Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their veteran's DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
E-Verify Participation: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs, and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, familial or marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance status, place of residence, political affiliation, or national origin. Ramsey County is deeply committed to advancing racial equity and promoting diversity and inclusion within all areas of our workforce.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print this posting and answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them with your completed paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact email@example.com or by phone at (651) 266-4062.
- Examples of Work Performed
- Prepare financial reports, operating statements, accounts payable statements, accounts receivable statements and similar periodic reports for management by reviewing, analyzing and compiling financial information in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assemble and prepare budget information by analyzing accounting records and reports and estimating revenues and expenses.
- Review and approve claims, invoices, purchase orders, accounts payables and other documents relating to receipts, expenditures, transfers and other transactions to ensure that transactions are accurate and in conformance with established policies, contracts, appropriate accounting practices, and that adequate funds are available, initiate corrective actions as necessary.
- Maintain ledger, journals and other financial control records by classifying and recording transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles; establish internal controls, reconcile subsidiary ledgers and recommend corrective actions as necessary.
- Conduct financial analyses of purchase of service contracts or other financial programs by reviewing and evaluating financial records, reports, contracts, proposals or similar source documents in order to provide accurate and timely information for decision making by management and the county board.
- Participate in contract development by conducting preliminary audits on new outside contractors, providing technical accounting assistance to contractors and performing financial evaluations on proposed contracts.
- Prepare grant budgets and the necessary budget adjustments in order to properly fund and control grant awards; prepare the necessary monthly/quarterly report of financial or statistical data to funding agencies.
- Respond to requests for information from auditors or other external funding sources concerning the financial activities of a county program.
- Operate computer equipment; produce, obtain or analyze computer-generated information in performing the accounting duties assigned.
- Provide training or direction to Accountant 1's and other accounting support staff.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this description and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10.
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field.
Experience: Two years of experience as an Accountant 1 or equivalent.
Substitution: Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Exam/Screening Process Information
The examination process will consist of the following section with each section weighted as indicated: Training and Experience Rating = 100%
The examination for Accountant 2 will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will pass the training and experience rating. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on your answers to the questions – do not mark “see resume” or “see work history” as a response. Please answer all your questions clearly and completely. Failure to respond could affect your score and final rank on this examination.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who filed a properly completed application and passed the examination/screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for an employment opportunity as a Accountant 2. This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to conduct interviews to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for one month or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list. The department may choose to interview any candidate on the eligible list.