The current vacancies are in the Workforce Solutions department. The eligibility list created by this vacancy may be used to hire other vacancies in the department or County. This is an unclassified, limited duration position expected to last one to two years.
The basic function is to coordinate the development, implementation and evaluation of a specified program or project which provides services to clients/participants or employees of the Department to which assigned; and to perform related duties as assigned.
The Workforce Solutions department is looking to fill two limited duration vacancies - the Pathways Program Specialist and the Outreach to Schools Program Specialist. In applying to this job posting, you may be considered for either of the following positions:
Pathways Program Specialist
This position will be responsible for implementing pathways programs for youth and young adults in Ramsey County. This includes supporting participants in County-subsidized internship programs, including the Ramsey County Young Adult Career Academy and Ramsey County Summer Youth Internship Program. The position will be responsible for recruiting, determining eligibility and enrolling participants into programming, along with coordination activities such as working with internship supervisors and developing professional development opportunities for participants.
Outreach to Schools Program Specialist
This position will be responsible for implementing the Outreach to Schools and School Affiliate Partnership programs. These programs focus on the connection between the youth workforce system and schools. The primary responsibilities of this position will include regularly working with school staff, attending school functions, such as job fairs, and administering a Student Barrier Removal fund to assist high school students with gaining career exploration, employment and post-secondary preparation.
This position is identified under the designation of ‘flex work eligible’, meaning that the employee can formally opt to be in-office full-time or work a flex schedule in which at least two-days per week are performed in office and other days can be performed in a remote-first environment. Regardless of selection, the position carries expectations regarding on-site responsibilities and will require schedule flexibility beyond the minimum expectations set forth in the county’s flexible workplace policy. To view Ramsey County’s Flexible Workplace policy, go to: Flexible Workplace policy (Download PDF reader).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this position, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
Examples of Work Performed
- Promote a diverse, culturally competent and respectful workplace.
- Develop implementation plans, program plans, or performance plans including projections of resource needs for various programs or projects including community-based programming within the department as assigned.
- Identify areas that need improvement and support the development of system modification and/or the development of new services.
- Survey, study, and analyze existing resources to achieve maximum effectiveness.
- Coordinate and collaborate with department staff (including other Ramsey County departments) and with the community, providers, state and regional municipalities, and federal authorities to meet program or project goals.
- Develop and maintain the program or project team priorities and work goals to achieve desired results.
- Identify needed changes in workflow and procedures and work with managers and supervisors to implement changes.
- Prepare reports and maintain records on program or project goals, achievements, methods, utilization, and challenges.
- Coordinate educational activities for service providers, concerned community groups and organizations affected by the program or project.
- Monitor, analyze, and evaluate the effectiveness of projects or programs including resources to ensure that services are provided in a cost-effective manner.
- Plan, conduct, identify, and/or coordinate training on topics related to the program or project for staff (including volunteers and interns), community provider agencies and clients/participants; implement orientation and recruiting goals in order to maximize program or project effectiveness.
- Assist in the creation of request for proposals, contracts and Board documentation related to the department project or program, as assigned.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this description and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Social Science, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field.
Experience: Five years of experience in programs or services related to the department to which assignment will be made, including two years in a field appropriate to the project to which appointment will be made.
Substitution: Four additional years above the required experience may substitute for the required bachelor’s degree.
Any applicant who meets the minimum qualifications through paid, volunteer or lived experience is encouraged to apply.
Exam/Screening Process Information
This is an unclassified, at-will position. This position requires an open screening and selection process. There is no exam for this position. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be forwarded to the department for consideration.
Definition of Unclassified from the Ramsey County Personnel Act:
Subdivision 1. General. "The appointing authority may discharge employees in the unclassified service with or without cause. Employees in the unclassified service have no right to a grievance appeal from discharge or other disciplinary action under sections 383A.281 to 383A.301. An employee in an unclassified position shall not have tenure but shall be entitled to all benefits associated with tenure such as vacation leave, sick leave, health insurance, and other benefits as determined by the county board."
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
E-Verify Participation: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs, and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, familial or marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance status, place of residence, political affiliation, or national origin. Ramsey County is deeply committed to advancing racial equity and promoting diversity and inclusion within all areas of our workforce.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print this posting and answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them with your completed paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact email@example.com.