There are current vacancies in the County Manager's Office and Office of Safety and Justice.
In the County Manager's Office, the Administrative Planning Assistant will support the work of the Administrative, Policy and Planning and Compliance and Ethics divisions and aid in advancing racial equity. This position requires working with data and reports; planning and coordinating project functions; and scheduling and preparing for meetings with the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners, county, community and partner agencies.
In the Office of Safety and Justice, the Administrative Planning Assistant will support the county’s bail reform work, collaborating with justice system stakeholders, nonprofit groups, and community members dedicated to improving our pretrial system by prioritizing community well-being and safety and reducing reliance on cash bail.
The Administrative Planning Assistant position supports the county's vision, mission, goals, core values and strategic priorities.
Applicants with an interest in planning, policy, collaboration and community engagement are encouraged to apply.
This position is identified under the designation of ‘flex work eligible’, meaning that the employee can formally opt to be in-office full-time or work a flex schedule in which at least two-days per week are performed in office and other days can be performed in a remote-first environment. Regardless of selection, the position carries expectations regarding on-site responsibilities and will require schedule flexibility beyond the minimum expectations set forth in the county’s flexible workplace policy. To view Ramsey County’s Flexible Workplace policy, go to: Flexible Workplace policy (Download PDF reader).
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules (i.e., promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this position, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
Examples of Work Performed
- Assist in conducting studies, needs assessments and special projects to determine the need for and type of changes required in programs, services and priorities in response to changes in the environment and make recommendations for implementation.
- Prepare cover memos, resolutions, plans, charts and reports using information from grant proposals, state and federal rules and regulations, county policies, contracts, requests for proposals, and back-up documentation.
- Review program and demographic data from county department(s) and from outside agencies; calculate averages, percentages, and other statistics; and compile data into summary reports.
- Arrange and prepare for meetings by coordinating schedules, securing appropriate facilities, coordinating programmatic details to ensure smooth functioning; gather and draft informational and meeting materials by writing, proofreading, and editing documents; produce documents, reports and related materials, submit materials for review and revisions before distribution; and provide support for and attend public meetings and media events.
- Create and monitor budget and programmatic spreadsheets to track and log expenditures and data; provide support in preparation of purchase orders and payments on invoices; obtain, create and maintain files as needed.
- Maintain regular contact and communications with residents, community partners, county department staff and participants regarding partnership developments; provide and obtain program resource information by contacting community agencies, developing data gathering tools, collecting survey information, compiling summary data, and writing reports.
- Assist in outreach to community agencies to establish and maintain relationships and to collect and share data.
- Assist in analyzing evaluation data and services provided for compliance with goals and objectives and recommend corrective action where necessary.
- Assist with development and implementation of strategic plans within a service area, division or department.
- Perform other administrative duties as needed to support the staff team, service area, division or department.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this description and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Four years administrative, clerical, or planning experience (either paid or voluntary) that includes writing and editing of articles, contracts, grant applications, or reports in relevant area, and researching and analyzing data.
Substitution: Post high school education can substitute for experience on a year to year basis for up to three years of experience.
Exam/Screening Process Information
The examination process will consist of the following section with each section weighted as indicated:
Training and Experience Rating = 100%
The examination for Administrative Planning Assistant will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will pass the training and experience rating. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on your answers to the questions – do not mark “see resume” or “see work history” as a response. Please answer all your questions clearly and completely. Failure to respond could affect your score and final rank on this examination.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who filed a properly completed application and passed the examination/screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for an employment opportunity as an Administrative Planning Assistant . This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to conduct interviews to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for 30 days (1 month) or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
Veteran's Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran's Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their veteran's DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
E-Verify Participation: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs, and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, familial or marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance status, place of residence, political affiliation, or national origin. Ramsey County is deeply committed to advancing racial equity and promoting diversity and inclusion within all areas of our workforce.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print this posting and answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them with your completed paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Megan.Simmons@co.ramsey.mn.us