This strategic leader will direct and manage a key division of the Finance Department accounting, and payroll for all of Ramsey County. Division Director Enterprise Accounting and Payroll is a senior member of the Finance department leadership team and will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This leader will look for opportunities to innovate and improve financial processes county-wide; center equity in all of the work done in Finance; leverage systems to ensure financial work is done efficiently throughout the County; and be part of a dynamic leadership team.
This position will be responsible for the overall hiring, training, mentoring and coordination of work within the assigned division. Establish financial related policies and procedures for all Ramsey County service teams. Develop and deliver training to internal and external audiences and administratively support the division. Exemplify and demonstrate the underlying values of equity, inclusion, transparency, and efficiency. Lead county wide efforts in establishing and directing strategic plans with a consideration for racial equity in all work and in alignment with Ramsey County values, goals and strategic priorities.
Enterprise Accounting and Payroll
Division Director Enterprise Accounting and Payroll is a senior member of the Finance department leadership team and will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This position is responsible for directing, managing and monitoring the annual comprehensive financial report for Ramsey County. This position will be the accounting lead for the county and oversee all county financial related activities and serve as an advisor on formulating policy and financial decisions. This position will lead the accounting, collections and payroll teams and set standards for process. This position will oversee the financial related work of Ramsey County service team Controllers to ensure county wide accounting effectiveness and perform related duties as assigned.
This position is identified under the designation of ‘flex work eligible’, meaning that the employee can formally opt to be in-office full-time or work a flex schedule in which at least two-days per week are performed in office and other days can be performed in a remote-first environment. Regardless of selection, the position carries expectations regarding on-site responsibilities and will require schedule flexibility beyond the minimum expectations set forth in the county’s flexible workplace policy. To view Ramsey County’s Flexible Workplace policy, go to: Flexible Workplace policy (Download PDF reader).
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules (i.e., promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this position, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
Examples of Work Performed
- Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
- Direct division activities to assign and review work, answer questions, and serve as a backup when necessary to meet deadlines. Perform duties including hiring, performance development, staff evaluation, discipline, and succession planning so that qualified employees are efficiently performing well-defined tasks.
- Direct, develop, manage and monitor the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report for Ramsey County including working with all service teams on financial statements; establish guidelines and requirements for completion; review, approve and monitor expenditures and revenues across the county; identify and resolve problems to ensure the presentation of accurate and complete information consistent with state and federal law and county board policy and the distribution of resources to adequately meet legal mandates and good management practices.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the County for the single audit; present financial reports and audit results to the Internal Audit Committee, Executive Team and Ramsey County Board of Commissioners.
- Act as the accounting lead for the County by overseeing finance related activities for the enterprise and serve as an advisor between Central Finance, Service Team Controllers, Auditors, and Deputy County Managers and departments; participate as a member of the Finance management team by providing guidance on formulating policy and financial decisions.
- Lead the payroll team within Finance including working with Human Resources to set policies and standards for the payroll process.
- Lead the collections team for Ramsey County including overseeing staff, setting the county-wide policy and working across the enterprise to increase collections.
- Manage and prepare the development of ad-hoc and year-end financial reports and analysis of complex issues and decisions affecting the current and future operations of the County.
- Analyze state and federal legislation to determine fiscal impact on the county.
- Participate in the overall management of major system development and implementation for county-wide systems.
- Participate as a member of county-wide project management teams to provide overall guidance to the development of projects, including reviewing and identifying financial impacts, major tasks and issues that need to be developed prior to implementation of the project.
- Present to the Executive Team and Ramsey County Board on financial, audit and other related work.
- Represent the Finance Team in meetings with state and federal officials.
- Establish, monitor, and enforce internal controls relating to cash receipts, collections and disbursements for the entire county.
- Responsible for problem-solving and resolving high-visibility financial difficulties across the enterprise.
- Oversee the financial related work of the service team Controllers and define and advise on what is needed to improve county-wide accounting effectiveness.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this description and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (All): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Policy, Business Administration or related field.
Experience: Five years of progressive administration and management experience in public sector finance, procurement, accounting or auditing, with at least three years in a supervisory capacity.
Preferred: Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.), Certified Government Finance Officer or master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Policy or Business Administration.
Exam/Screening Process Information
The examination process will consist of the following section with each section weighted as indicated:
Training and Experience Rating = 100%
The examination for Division Director Finance-Enterprise Accounting and Payroll will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will pass the training and experience rating. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on your answers to the questions – do not mark “see resume” or “see work history” as a response. Please answer all of the supplemental questions clearly and completely. Failure to respond could affect your score and final rank on this examination.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who filed a properly completed application and passed the examination/screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for an employment opportunity as a Division Director Finance-Enterprise Accounting and Payroll . This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to conduct interviews to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for 30 days (1 month) or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
Veteran's Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran's Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their veteran's DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
E-Verify Participation: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs, and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, familial or marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance status, place of residence, political affiliation, or national origin. Ramsey County is deeply committed to advancing racial equity and promoting diversity and inclusion within all areas of our workforce.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print this posting and answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them with your completed paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Megan.Simmons@co.ramsey.mn.us