- Basic Function
The current vacancy is in the Information Services department. The eligibility list created by this vacancy may be used to hire other vacancies in the department or County.
Information Specific to this Position:
The IS Principal Application Developer role will be responsible for Power Apps and Power Platform development. The role functions include:
- Overseeing and mentoring a team of application developers.
- Building complex technology solutions utilizing Power Platform development, primarily Power Apps, Power Automate and Power BI.
- Working collaboratively with the IS development team to develop, manage and maintain business applications.
- Have working knowledge of and skills in the following specialty areas: relational databases, Azure Platform, Dynamics 365, and Microsoft DevOps.
- Flexible Workplace
This position is identified under the designation of ‘flex work eligible’, meaning that the employee can formally opt to be in-office full-time or work a flex schedule in which at least two-days per week are performed in office and other days can be performed in a remote-first environment. Regardless of selection, the position carries expectations regarding on-site responsibilities and will require schedule flexibility beyond the minimum expectations set forth in the county’s flexible workplace policy. To view Ramsey County’s Flexible Workplace policy, go to: Flexible Workplace policy (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader).
All job offers are conditioned on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine authorized for emergency use or FDA-approved. You will be required to show proof of vaccination on or before your first day of employment and complete a form certifying that you are vaccinated. Religious and medical exemptions or reasonable accommodations will be considered upon request as required by applicable law.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules (i.e., promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this position, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
- Veteran's Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran's Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their veteran's DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
E-Verify Participation: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs, and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, familial or marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance status, place of residence, political affiliation, or national origin. Ramsey County is deeply committed to advancing racial equity and promoting diversity and inclusion within all areas of our workforce.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader). You will need to print this posting and answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them with your completed paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Gaohleechi.Vu@ramseycounty.us or by phone at (651) 266-2723.
To analyze, design, develop, test, document, implement and maintain business applications developed on the Power Platform; to lead, supervise and manage application development teams and projects; to mentor and coach team members on best practices, performance achievement and new development approaches and methodologies; to assist and collaborate with other Information Services teams on technical projects, tasks and troubleshooting technical issues; and to perform related duties as assigned. (This is the expert level of the Application Developer series with a primary focus on Power Platform development – primarily Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI, utilizing SharePoint, Teams and SQL Server to build complex business solutions. At peak performance, work at this level requires expert-level knowledge of all Power Platform components. Projects managed are the most complex, require the largest investment of resources and have the greatest impact on departmental and/or County operations and typically impact operations on a broad scale. Work is performed under the direction of an Application Services Supervisor; incumbents represent the supervisor when needed.)
Work assignments will involve developing new business applications or enhancements and acting as team lead. Because of their advanced technical expertise, Principal Application Developers will be expected to provide knowledge transfer, technical assistance, coaching and mentoring to other application developers and be a source of technical information to department leaders.
- Examples of Work Performed
- Promote a diverse, culturally competent and respectful workplace.
- Design and develop application for various Ramsey County departments according to departmental programming standards and design specifications with the ability to determine appropriate underlying technologies needed.
- Oversee the design, implementation and maintenance of business applications best suited to the operational needs of County departments by coordinating, scheduling and supervising applications development from initial consultations with customers through the design, programming, testing, troubleshooting, implementation, documentation and training of customer department staff.
- Responsible for developing or overseeing the development of test plans; be able to test and debug applications by analyzing them to determine likely problem areas, constructing and using sample data to test programs or systems failures, utilize testing tools for regression testing when appropriate, and rewrite or redesign programs or applications to correct such failures.
- Act as administrator for Power Platform, Dynamics 365, and Azure Application Development Services.
- Work with customers and Information Services staff to troubleshoot production problems. Correct production problems by analyzing applications to determine and correct the cause and all effects of the malfunction; evaluate the application to determine that all corrections have been properly made with no unanticipated and undesirable side effects.
- Assist staff and customers with difficult applications problems; and respond to and resolve end user technical problems regarding software performance and capabilities.
- Establish timeframes for work completion and sets priorities of work to be done; assess relative costs and resources available and provide input into strategic planning decisions for the Department of Information Services involving the use of external consultants and other resources on large-scale projects.
- Develop detailed project estimates for work to be completed and assists the Application Services Supervisor in preparing project proposals. Develop estimates for assignments given to other staff.
- Work with supervisors to assist in coordinating the planning, scheduling and controlling of large-scale application software implementation and upgrades from project inception through implementation.
- Develop and deliver presentations on subjects such as application design, project status and implementation plans.
- Oversee the delivery of consulting services and outside contracted or vendor services to ensure that work is completed according to established agreements and timelines.
- Evaluate new technical proposals to determine their appropriateness and compatibility to Ramsey County's operations; and summarize and report recommendations of application software purchases to County departments and Information Services management.
- Serve as technical advisor; assist supervisors in developing development/work plans for staff; and mentor technical staff in their specialty area. Ensure team members follow Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) procedures and processes.
- Serve as technical expert to staff inside and outside the Department of Information Services; manage and direct the work of ad hoc interdepartmental project teams convened to design, implement and troubleshoot large software projects.
- Use query tools to identify and correct problems with data and/or applications.
- Analyze and document problems with vendor-supplied application software and generate documentation for submission of application software problems to vendor; contact outside resources for input into resolving application software problems and apply corrective action.
- Work with county departments to identify critical county applications and work with Information Services staff and county department staff in creating a Business Continuation Plan for these applications.
- Administer legacy web applications/IIS and assist Sys Admin with web server upgrades.
- Assist technical architects with data integration development and support.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20.
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: Bachelor's Degree in computer sciences or a related field.
Experience: Seven years of experience in application programming and systems analysis or equivalent. Experience must include two years managing an application system as a lead developer, responsible for managing work assignments.
Substitution: A total combination of related post-secondary education and work experience or work experience alone to equal 11 years in application programming and systems analysis or equivalent may be substituted. Experience must include two years managing an application system as a lead developer, responsible for managing work assignments.
Preferred: Experience managing the work of assigned development staff or supervising IS development staff.
- Exam/Screening Process Information
The examination process will consist of the following section with each section weighted as indicated:
- Training and Experience Rating = 100%
- Eligible List: The names of all applicants who filed a properly completed application and passed the examination/screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for an employment opportunity as an Information Systems (IS) Principal Application Developer. This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to conduct interviews to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for three months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
121 East Seventh Place, Ste. 4000
Saint Paul, U.S., Minneaota 55101