Ramsey County is seeking candidates for a limited duration financial fellowship program (up to four years). The current vacancy will allow the selected candidate to start the program in Summer of 2023. *While this program is designed for full-time positions, Ramsey County will provide part-time flexibility for candidates currently enrolled in the final semester of their programs.
Candidates accepted into the program will be appointed as unclassified, limited duration Accountants 1 or 2 for up to four years and will serve 12-month rotational assignments in multiple departments (1 in each service team). Candidates will gain exposure to county leaders and organization-wide perspectives through a structured, quarterly, cohort meeting with the Chief Financial Officer and senior county management. To view or download more detailed information for this position, go to: Finance Professionals Fellowship (Download PDF reader).
Basic Function of an Accountant: To review and analyze accounting transactions, prepare financial reports, maintain records of the financial activity of the department or unit to which assigned and ensure compliance with legal guidelines and generally accepted accounting principles; and to perform related duties as assigned.
This is an unclassified, limited-term duration appointment. There is no guarantee of employment beyond the four-year term. This position will remain open for application until filled. Applicants should respond promptly as initial screening of application materials will occur tentatively during the week of May 8, 2023.
This position is identified under the designation of ‘flex work eligible’, meaning that the employee can formally opt to be in-office full-time or work a flex schedule in which at least two-days per week are performed in office and other days can be performed in a remote-first environment. Regardless of selection, the position carries expectations regarding on-site responsibilities and will require schedule flexibility beyond the minimum expectations set forth in the county’s flexible workplace policy. To view Ramsey County’s Flexible Workplace policy, go to: Flexible Workplace policy (Download PDF reader).
All job offers are conditioned on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine authorized for emergency use or FDA-approved. You will be required to show proof of vaccination on or before your first day of employment and complete a form certifying that you are vaccinated. Religious and medical exemptions or reasonable accommodations will be considered upon request as required by applicable law.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules (i.e., promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this position, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
Hourly Salary Range for Accountant 1 is $26.01 - $38.57
- Hourly Salary Range for Accountant 2 is $29.92 - $44.32
- Examples of Work Performed
- Prepare financial reports, operating statements, accounts payable statements, accounts receivable statements and similar periodic reports for management by reviewing, analyzing and compiling financial information in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assemble and prepare budget information by analyzing accounting records and reports and estimating revenues and expenses.
- Review and approve claims, invoices, purchase orders, accounts payables and other documents relating to receipts, expenditures, transfers and other transactions to ensure that transactions are accurate and in conformance with established policies, contracts, appropriate accounting practices, and that adequate funds are available, initiate corrective actions as necessary.
- Maintain ledger, journals and other financial control records by classifying and recording transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles; establish internal controls, reconcile subsidiary ledgers and recommend corrective actions as necessary.
- Conduct financial analyses of purchase of service contracts or other financial programs by reviewing and evaluating financial records, reports, contracts, proposals or similar source documents in order to provide accurate and timely information for decision making by management and the county board.
- Participate in contract development by conducting preliminary audits on new outside contractors, providing technical accounting assistance to contractors and performing financial evaluations on proposed contracts.
- Prepare grant budgets and the necessary budget adjustments in order to properly fund and control grant awards; prepare the necessary monthly/quarterly report of financial or statistical data to funding agencies.
- Respond to requests for information from auditors or other external funding sources concerning the financial activities of a county program.
- Operate computer equipment; produce, obtain or analyze computer-generated information in performing the accounting duties assigned.
- Provide training or direction to Accountant 1's and other accounting support staff.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this description and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10.
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field OR be currently enrolled in the final semester of the program with the ability to obtain the degree by the end of the current semester.
Substitution: A combination of related education and experience that equates to 4 years can be substituted for the bachelor’s degree.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field.
Experience: Two years of experience as an Accountant 1 or equivalent.
Substitution: A combination of related education and experience that equates to 6 years can be substituted for the bachelor’s degree and required experience.
- Exam/Screening Process Information
This position will remain open for application until filled. Applicants should respond promptly as initial screening of application materials will occur the week of May 8th.
This is an unclassified, at-will position, holding a confidential relation to the department head or elected official. This position requires an open screening and selection process. There is no exam for this unclassified, at-will, position. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be forwarded to the department for consideration. Please read below for further instructions.
Definition of Unclassified from the Ramsey County Personnel Act:
Subdivision 1. General. "The appointing authority may discharge employees in the unclassified service with or without cause. Employees in the unclassified service have no right to a grievance appeal from discharge or other disciplinary action under sections 383A.281 to 383A.301. An employee in an unclassified position shall not have tenure but shall be entitled to all benefits associated with tenure such as vacation leave, sick leave, health insurance, and other benefits as determined by the county board."
Interested candidates may apply by completing the online application and resume. The resume and the application may be sent electronically by attaching the materials to the online posting. If you have difficulty uploading your materials, you may contact Noelana.email@example.com or by phone at (651) 266-2726.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment. Examples may include:
- PREA Investigation
- DHS Background Check
E-Verify Participation: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance or national origin.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print off this posting and also answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them if you complete a paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Noelana.firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (651) 266-2726.
Saint Paul, MN 55101