BizRecycling Relief Grants
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) has allocated funding to support small businesses that are facing financial hardship as the result of COVID-19, recent civil unrest or the economic downturn.
One-time grants of up to $10,000 will be awarded to eligible businesses for operational expenses related to managing waste and recycling effectively.
These funds are an extension of the R&E commercial recycling program, BizRecycling. BizRecycling helps business reduce waste and improve recycling and organics collection.
Use of Funds
Businesses may apply for a grant to cover the following expenses:
- 6-months reimbursement for recycling and organics hauling costs.
- 6-month purchase of recyclable or compostable dinnerware or to-go packaging.
- 6-month purchase of packaging for food recovery and donation efforts.
- Infrastructure and equipment for use in food recovery and donation efforts.
- Up to 10 hours per month staff wage (up to $20 an hour) for operational costs related to recycling, organics, food recovery and waste reduction efforts for a period of 6 months.
- One hour of staff wages per staff member to receive recycling training. Training will be on-site at your business and hosted by a BizRecycling consultant. Hourly rate is an average of employees in attendance, not to exceed $20 per hour.
- Other operational needs related to the overarching goals of waste reduction and recycling best practices, as approved by R&E.
Businesses may not use funds to pay trash hauling costs or business expenses not related to waste reduction.
Businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Locally-owned and operated businesses in Ramsey and Washington Counties.
- A “business” is defined to include for-profit entities and non-profit entities.
- “Locally-owned and operated” means a business with a physical address documenting business as established in Ramsey or Washington County.
- Multiple business locations in Ramsey and Washington Counties that are owned by the same entity are eligible for individual grants as long as each location meets all eligibility criteria.
- Employee equivalent of 5-100 full time workers, as of March 1, 2020.
- For businesses with multiple locations in Ramsey and/or Washington Counties, the employee equivalent is the cumulative number of employees across all locations.
- Experienced financial hardship as a result of COVID-19, civil unrest or the economic downturn.
- Agree to a 30-minute site visit from a BizRecycling consultant within 6 months of receiving grant funds. The consultant will verify the use of grant funds and provide recommendations on how to reduce waste and improve waste management operations.
- Be in compliance with the State of Minnesota’s COVID-19 business operations guidance.
- Be in good standing with the Minnesota Secretary of State and the Minnesota Department of Revenue as of March 1, 2020.
Previous BizRecycling grantees are eligible to apply for a Relief Grant. Previous grantees must be in good standing with the terms of their previous grant agreement.
Ineligible entities include home-based businesses; corporate chains (but locally owned franchise businesses are eligible); all public, private and charter K-12 schools; multi-unit residential properties; tenants in publicly owned spaces, and colleges or universities.
Additional information and to apply, visit www.bizreliefgrant.com.
White Bear Township
White Bear Lake
Spring Lake Park
North St Paul